Tuesday 27 October 2015

comparison is the thief of joy.









I noticed something about myself just now, while I was procrastinating, finding something to read or look at. That I have stopped looking at other peoples work and carers. When I was at uni I would constantly be looking at other illustrators other artists to see how they are making it in the creative industry. Thinking ok if I make some cards and sell them on etsy that will help, or if I enter the same competitions thats what I should be doing. 
I did that for a few years, even though I had my own style it still wasn't what I wanted to do, it was commercial but again still too different it didn't quite fit in. It wasn't till last year when I gave up my illustration carer after a succession of people I had been working with turned out very sour. 
At the same time as this happened personal issues had arisen as they do, (I find things come in waves). I shut down my Facebook, I was tired of the negativity that I was absorbing from this site. The best thing I have learnt is that comparison is the thief of joy. 
Zoning out of all this comparison, I noticed I started to follow my own journey. My own style developed, big commissions started to come in, and the people who were contacting me to tell me how much they liked my work, was something I could only dream of two years ago. 
These days I look at pinterest of course, but more of a way of organising my thoughts. I read wellbeing blogs, and go outside walking! My inspiration comes from my emotions and when I stopped taking on others emotions I was allowing myself to be true and work true. 








Aurora Borealis Glass Objet | Kindred Black

No comments:

Post a Comment